Friday, October 17, 2008

An Update...

Things are going quite well here, my classes are getting easier to handle now that I am becoming more consistent about disciplining the students when they don't behave. This week we are focusing on the alphabet, counting, and colors. At the beginning of the week I was grilled on being American by two of my classes; questions included -
Have you ever met Micheal Jackson, Obama, or Clinton?
Do they have Subarus and Ferraris in the States?
Do they have Pokemon in the States? this lead into a discussion about favorite pokemons which lasted way too long
Do we have tornados, sharks, whales, dolphins, snow, etc. in the States?
Am I planning on going home every weekend to see my parents?


The most fun thing to explain to the students is that while we are all in class, my friends and family are all sleeping on the other side of the world. It gets them everytime!

So Cait, the assistant from Commercy, came to visit, so we further explored BLD and I have more pictures for you. Enjoy!

La Tour de l'horlage...built in the 1600's
La ville haute and the Renaissance quarter, the oldest part of BLD
un église in the ville haute, the name I don't remember
Our room that we use exclusively for defrosting chicken or drying our laundry.
The hours of masses at the churches. Mass rotates between churches, and they are all only open during mass hours. We want to go in the churches, so we're planning on attending mass...that's how they get you.
Paus Café, on the Bld de la Rochelle...best crepes EVER. My personal favorite is chorizo sausage with chevre and crème...
Can you say YUM?
Cait and I in the gazebo at the parc de l'hotel de ville...we learned all sorts of dirty words from the graffiti on the inside.
I smelled something very foul, and Julia happened to be taking a photograph at the exact time I turned around... that is the tour de l'horlage behind me.
The chateau at BLD
A poorly pieced together panorama of BLD
Panorama complete with hopefully visible labels for your convenience...
Me kickin' it with Napoleon's army...these guys were awesome.
Scott (the canadian assistant), Cait, and I on the Bld de la Rochelle...
The home in which Pierre Michaux, co-inventor of the bicycle peddle was born (1813)...The other inventor being his brother. This is BLD's main claim to fame...

2 comments:

Chris said...

haha way to go frenchies with your silly hats! No wonder Napoleon was defeated... And I like the panoramas, very cool!

Unknown said...

Kate--love the panoramas! very impressive. it's so fun to see your world!! keep the posts and pictures coming!!