By this point in time, it has become painfully clear that I will not be finding a job in France this time around. So the practical, logical, and fiscally responsible thing to do is to come back to Seattle ahead of schedule.
I certainly have enough money saved to stay here for another month, and as tempting as that sounds, I think it would be a poor decision. I would be eating into my life's savings to bum around in Montpellier while still not being able to experience it to its fullest because let's face it, one should not spend their life savings like they're on vacation, especially when I don't have a job or even an apartment lined up back in Seattle.
My coming home ahead of schedule does not mean that I have failed at my mission here. I knew prior to coming here that finding a job would be difficult. But it was only after having spoken to people face-to-face that I truly saw what a challenge it is. When the best advice people can give you is to get married, there is something seriously wrong. I have heard several times now that I should have gone to Paris, that there are more jobs there. I understand this, but to me (and the vast majority of the French population), France and Paris are two completely different entities. Living elsewhere in France and living in Paris are not equal. Paris and I are not a good fit.
Before I bounce out of my favorite place on Earth, I am heading to Lyon where Florent will pick me up (there is talk of going to the Alps!), and then to Paris for a couple days to see Stéphane and if Katherine or Aimée are available while I'm there, I'll hit them up too. I plan on enjoying these last few days to the fullest, and certainly stuffing my face with as many escargots as I can manage before my arteries clog from the butter overload. I have only been here 2 months, and in that time I have met some really great people. You will be missed, all of you. Especially Terri, the British woman from whom I rent my apartment. She is quite possibly one of the best human beings on the planet, and I hope I see her and her equally-as-kickass husband again soon.
I have mixed emotions about this decision. Part of me can't wait to get back to the States, and the other part of me is shrieking, "NOOOOOOO!!!!!!" But ultimately, it is the right decision and I'll hopefully be better off for it.
No comments:
Post a Comment