Friday, April 1, 2011

L'arrivée...

After what was quite possibly the shortest 22 hours of my life, I find myself sitting in a cafe in Montpellier, drinking my 3rd coffee of the morning wondering what the locals think of this tired, stinky (I really need a shower), and slightly twitchy (copious amounts of coffee and fatigue shouldn't always go together) girl sitting in the corner surrounded by stacks of luggage. Probably nothing, but I can't help but wonder.

The three flights over felt short and incredibly easy - probably because I slept through the majority of them. Paris was overcast and dreary, so when we took off for Montpellier, I had no problem falling asleep instead of looking excitedly out the window. I woke up right at the perfect time - as the overcast clouds came abruptly to an end, all that could now be seen were tiny villages dotting the French countryside, grey stone gorges lined with trees, and the occasional snow-capped mountaintop. As we came closer to Montpellier, the snow-capped Pyrenees came into view, followed shortly by the brilliant blue of the Mediterranean. Landing in Montpellier is great, you come from the north, fly out over the sea, then turn sharply around and land right on the edge of the water. If you hadn't spotted the runway in passing, one would most likely think that you were going to land IN the water. I will admit that I definitely thought that for a blip of a moment... I grabbed my bag and got to the city in a matter of minutes, grabbed a French cell phone, and found where I would be living. Pamela is currently at work, which is why I am saturating in my own filth in a cafe right now instead of stashing my luggage and getting cleaned up. She should be home soon, so I'll have to trudge back up the hill in the warm sun with all my luggage here shortly.

I start classes on Monday. After that, I should have a better idea of how this whole job hunt will go. But until then, I have a weekend to adjust to the time change and explore this beautiful city!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Si jaloux!!! Can't wait to hear more about it and visit you someday! Miss you :D