For the party, Hélène and Nicolas very graciously offered their house, and we all drove over in a caravan. Having attended Julie's birthday party the previous weekend (drinks and food at her place, then to the discothèque where we were kicked out at 4:30 am when it closed, and managed to make it in bed by 6 am), I had an idea of what to do for an ideal French birthday party. With the aide of Julie's car, Thierry to drive it, and Kat to help prepare all the food, the night before we made a run to the French equivalent of Wal-Mart - and it is just as terrifying - where the cheapest prices can be found without a doubt.
We took all the necessary items and with the aide of Julie and Thierry's kitchen (they have an oven AND a food processor!) Kat and I prepared all the food that had to be made the night before...i.e. the smoked salmon terrine (this is like salmon-flavored crack), and lots of crispy pancetta.
A couple hours before the party, Kat, being the good friend she is, continued to aide me with the preparation of the rest of the food: crispy pancetta topped with chevre, pear, and mint, melon wrapped with prosciutto, camembert with fig jelly, pâté en croute (I wish I could say I made this from scratch, but alas, it was store-bought), simple munchie snacks from the store, etc.
The party was great. Everyone loved the food (especially the smoked salmon terrine - thank you for this recipe, Dad! I have successfully translated it into French for Hélène because it was such a hit!) and there was, suprisingly, enough food for all 14 people who were there!
I got home around 4:30 and slept until 11. On weekends, my sleep pattern is a little screwy.
Here are the pictures from the party!
Kat, dutifully spreading chevre on crispy pancetta.
Almost all of the prepared food and alcohol that had to be transported to Hélène and Nico's.
Everyone patiently awaiting our service.The girls of the party...
The boys of the party...
Florion, Olivier, and Scott
Chowin' down on the smoked salmon goodness.
Kat and I slicing up the terrines.
Maxim, an expert in the exact science of face-making.
Happy birthday!
Maxim successfully thwarting evil ninja Nico...don't worry, they are not sharp whatsoever.
Thierry and I!
Amélie, Olivier, Fabrice, and Maxim
Maxim and Kat
Presents!
A bottle of Mirabelle liquour...it will definitely warm you up.
This was my chorus of random songs while I opened my presents. The best was 'I Will Survive', where no one knew the lyrics because they were in English. I just wish it had been filmed!
My new awesome scarf from Kat!
Qu'est-ce que c'est?
It is a music box that plays 'la Vie en Rose', which is one of the best French songs ever.
A box chock-full of goodies of the Lorraine. Just be wary of the candies that are filled with Mirabelle liquour jelly...even the candy burns!
My AWESOME birthday cake, bought from a local pâtisserie, it had a pistachio crust, with rasperry jelly on top, and vanilla nougat with mousse and raspberry jelly inside. There is no better place on earth to buy a cake than in France. I am still debating going to this pâtisserie to buy another one of these just for myself...so good!
The melon and prosciutto! It is safe to say I have never had a better tasting melon before this night.
Good times!
No comments:
Post a Comment